10 Questions with Crispy Grindz – Traditional Brazilian Açaí Bowls
Since the beginning of Tambor Acaí, we’ve had the privilege of working with some of the coolest cafes, restaurants, hotels, and grocers. Today we’re talking story with the owners of Crispy Grindz, a food truck account of ours on the North Shore of Oahu. This husband and wife duo has their truck parked along the ‘seven-mile miracle’, across the street from famous surf spots Off the Wall and Pipeline. If you’re a surfer or have driven through the North Shore, it’s likely you’ve seen their brightly painted purple and yellow food truck just off Kamehameha Hwy. If you haven’t already stopped here, you’re missing out on some delicious traditional Brazilian açaí bowls and ‘crispy’ foods. Here’s what they had to say about living life in the country, and why they choose Tambor.
Cris and Christian Jensen
2. Where did you both grow up?
Me in Brazil and Christian, California.
3. How long has Crispy Grindz been open here on the North Shore?
We opened back in 2008
4. What inspired you to start a food truck?
The Lord [ God ] specifically told me to start selling at the North Shore Farmers Market. That’s where we first started.
5. Your truck is parked in a prime location here in the North Shore, across from Off The Wall and Pipeline. What do you like best about being a local business in the country?
It feels so good when locals and tourist enjoy eating our food so much!
6. The North Shore’s Winter season is just around the corner. Who are some of your favorite surfers and faces that come to your truck?
Pretty much every single surfer comes for an acai bowl every single day. They like it because it fills them up but doesn’t weigh them down, and they can go back and surf right away.
7. How long have you been using Tambor Açaí?
We’ve been using Tambor since 2009.
8. What do you like most about Tambor in comparison to other leading brands?
Tambor Açaí is like how it tastes in brazil; smooth and not watery. Other brands are either too watery or bitter.
9. The North Shore is such an amazing place to live. What does your ideal day off look like?
We just love to go to the beach and surf with our whole group of family and friends.
10. At Tambor we have a saying, “keep your life in rhythm”. What does this mean to you?
Rhythm is pretty much how you feel when you eat açaí from Tambor! Everything is in rhythm! You feel so good. It’s refreshing and you feel connected to nature because it’s so healthy and gives you lots of good energy.
For more information on Crispy Grindz, head over to their website and Instagram page.